Skip to main content

REVIEW: A Marathon Broadway Weekend in One Post


 
Two weeks ago I went up to NYC with my mom and a friend and had a marathon Broadway weekend. From Thursday to Sunday, we saw five Broadway shows: School of Rock, The Color Purple, On Your Feet!, She Loves Me, and Noises Off. I’m taking the time now to post my reviews for each show we saw, because there’s much to be said about each.

1)      School of Rock: I heard this show was good. I just did Jesus Christ Superstar late last year, so I felt an obligation to see Andrew Lloyd Webber’s new show. I had a feeling Sierra Boggess would be wonderful and the little kids would be ridiculously talented.
What I didn’t know was that the show would be THAT good.
I absolutely LOVED this show. As I predicted, the kids were incredible. The little girl who sang “Amazing Grace” in Act 2 blew my mind. She couldn’t be more than 10 years old but she had the voice of a 25-year-old. Each kid had such well-developed characters, and the fact that they played all their instruments themselves was very impressive.
Again, as I predicted, Sierra Boggess gave a great performance. She wasn’t well-featured in Act 1, but her solo in Act 2, “Where Did The Rock Go,” showcased both her incredible vocals and strong acting chops. The real MVP of this show, however, is Alex Brightman in the leading role of Dewey. That part in itself is a marathon. I don’t think he ever left the stage and he never stopped moving!!! I see a potential Tony nomination for him in the near future.
Overall, it was a great, fun, and thoroughly entertaining night at the theatre. Bring your whole family and get ready to ROCK!

2)      The Color Purple: If you want to sit in and sob your eyes out for two and a half hours straight, this is the show for you! I did not know anything about The Color Purple prior to seeing it, but word of mouth told me this was not one to be missed. I sat down most excited to see Jennifer Hudson, but ten minutes in I knew that Cynthia Erivo’s performance was worth the price of admission. Only a few times before have I seen a performance so raw, dedicated, and powerful. She sucked me into the story from the moment she stepped out onstage until the last beautiful note she sang. I couldn’t believe that she, as small as she is, was able to have a voice that made her seem six feet tall. She sang and everything made sense. The real world was shut out and we were fully engrossed in her world. She had the entire audience in the palm of her hand. As far as I’m concerned, the Tony for Best Actress in a Musical is hers.

Because of Cynthia’s performance, Jennifer Hudson fell short for me. Though Hudson’s vocals are undeniably strong and like no other, acting-wise she couldn’t hold a candle to her co-star. That is not to say that Ms. Hudson didn’t give a great performance, because she did. I feel so lucky to have seen her perform live in such a spectacular production.

Other notable performance include Kyle Scatliffe (who I also loved as Enjolras in Les Miserables), and Danielle Brooks (of Orange is the New Black fame). They both had wonderful chemistry together, and had strong stage presence apart. It seemed practically every time Danielle spoke, the audience burst into laughter and applause. The entire cast was extremely strong. The music gave me constant chills, and as an ensemble they worked together exceedingly well.

I’ll say it again: This show is NOT to be missed, and it’s worth splurging a little bit to go and see it.

 
3)      On Your Feet! The Story of Emilio & Gloria Estefan: I’ll start this review with a disclaimer: I’m not a big fan of jukebox musicals. The only jukebox musical that I have genuinely enjoyed the whole was through was Beautiful: The Carol King Musical, because it was well executed, Jessie Mueller was fantastic, and unlike most jukebox musicals, the story was well-developed and it didn’t feel like a concert.  

On Your Feet! had the same concept and story arc as Beautiful, but just wasn’t quite as powerful. The music was very enjoyable and you can’t help but want to join the pre-intermission conga line, and the cast was having a blast. I also think not having grown up a Gloria Estefan fan, a lot of the show was lost on me.  I think On Your Feet! would do really well in a Las Vegas venue. In the contemporary, larger-than-life Marquis theatre, it had that sort of feel.
I think the post-bus accident storyline could have been more drawn out and better written, so the actors could have more material with which to work. The end of Act 2 felt rushed and it ended very abruptly. I feel like there would have been more to tell, but that’s just my opinion. Like I said before, I don’t care for jukebox musicals to begin with.

4)      She Loves Me: This. Show. Was. So. Adorable. It is a perfect example of Broadway bringing back the nostalgic, classic musical. It was a perfect blast from the past, and brought me back to a simpler time. The set was absolutely splendid, and for the show only being in its second week of previews, I only noticed a couple minor errors.

I went to this show for three main reasons: Laura Benanti, Zachary Levi, and Gavin Creel, and they did not disappoint. I had seen Laura perform before, in the Radio City Rockettes Spring Spectacular last spring, but this show truly showcased the power in her singing. She gave me chills. Gavin Creel is someone I’ve wanted to see perform for years, and he didn’t disappoint. His voice is smooth as caramel, and he has a wonderful charisma onstage that makes him irresistible. I’ve loved Zachary Levi since he was Flynn Rider in Tangled, and it was fun to see him as a romantic lead yet again. His vocals and character work was well displayed. He was perfectly cast. The rest of the cast, most notably Jane Krakowski, were are all strong and well cast.

If you’re looking for a deep, highly emotional musical, this is not the one. It’s funny, delightful, light-hearted, and all around adorable.

Tip! If you do see this show, make sure to wait at the stage door after the show. Zachary Levi in particular makes the stage door experience so fun! That’s all I’ll say so as not to spoil the things he does for the fans.


5)      Noises Off: This show might actually be the funniest play ever put onstage, and this cast is up to the task! I did not know much about the show when I bought my tickets, but I went due to the high praise this Roundabout production has been receiving. Though our seats were dreadful (Tip! Box seats may be more affordable, but they’re AWFUL in the American Airlines theatre! I had to literally stand on my chair and lean against the back wall to be able to see anything going on), the show was laugh-out-loud hysterical. I don’t think I’ve laughed that hard at a show since I saw The Book of Mormon for the first time.

This cast is full of probably some of the best comedic actors in the business. The biggest standouts in the show were Andrea Martin as Dottie, Megan Hilty as Brooke, and Rob McClure as Tim, but the entire cast brought their own wonderful style to the hilarity of the show. The use of the entire theatre space was excellent, as Lloyd the Director traveled from onstage through the aisles and up to the balcony, barking orders and frustrated insults to his cast during the final tech rehearsal. The set (or what I could see of it) was just marvelous, and the choreographed chaos of Acts II & III were genius. I cannot believe this group does this show eight times a week; I can’t imagine how exhausted they must be!

I’m very sad that Noises Off was a limited run, because I wish I could go back and see it again, from a better seat, and catch everything I missed the first time!
Has anyone else seen these shows and has thoughts to share? Comment below, and thanks for reading!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Drains Your Savings?

I, like most of the theatre world, am completely captivated by the new Broadway superhit Hamilton . I have listened to the cast recording on repeat nonstop for the last several months. I know every word to every song. The cast members have all become celebrities in my house. I am also extremely lucky to have seen Hamilton, and it completely blew me away and exceeded every expectation. I also luckily only paid $57 for my ticket. That sentence usually is greeted with gasps, dropped jaws, and “HOOOOOWWWW?!” That kind of price for this show is completely unheard of these days. If you buy a Hamilton ticket face value, the cheapest you can get is $139. StubHub and Ticketmaster Resale is filled with people re-selling their tickets for as much as $1,500 or more PER TICKET. Why are people doing this? Because people are so desperate to see the show that they will pay 10x the original ticket cost to see it! This alone is where our problem lies and created the whole reason why I am

Proper Stage Door Etiquette

  All theatres have a stage door. It’s primarily where the actors, musicians, crew, etc. enter the theatre. At Broadway and large regional theatres, it’s also where the audience gathers after the show to get autographs and pictures with the actors. Stage doors can be very fun, but can also cause some people to reach an unacceptable level of crazy. I have waited at dozens of Broadway stage doors over the years and have many stories to tell. I will share some of these stories to help teach you all proper stage door etiquette, because let’s be honest – a lot of people in the theatre world need to be taught how to property act. 1)       Don’t be bitter because you’re not at the front of the crowd. For those of you who have never “stage door-ed” a show before, typically the theatre puts up police barricades that the fans wait behind, to provide crowd control and safety for the actors who come out to sign autographs. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a spot right up against the barricade

"It's Good to See Me, Isn't It?" Broadway is Open!

photo by Jenny Anderson It seemed so normal yet foreign and dreamlike all at once. On a warm September afternoon, I walked out of the New York Marriott Marquis, turned right towards 46th Street, cut through the Hotel Edison lobby, and emerged on 47th Street. I stared at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, its marquee lights sparkling like a lighthouse welcoming weary sailors home. I joined the line to enter the theatre and showed the attendants my ID and proof of COVID-19 vaccination - a sign of how different life really is these days. As I passed through the metal detectors, I heard the unmistakable beeps of the ushers' ticket scanners (a sound I hadn't heard in far too long), and that's when it hit me. Broadway is back, and so am I. The usher directed us to our seats and with a deep breath, I stepped into a theatre for the first time in 18 months.  My family and I arrived into New York City earlier that day with tickets in hand for that evening to see Wicked's second perform