Skip to main content

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Drains Your Savings?


I, like most of the theatre world, am completely captivated by the new Broadway superhit Hamilton. I have listened to the cast recording on repeat nonstop for the last several months. I know every word to every song. The cast members have all become celebrities in my house. I am also extremely lucky to have seen Hamilton, and it completely blew me away and exceeded every expectation.
I also luckily only paid $57 for my ticket.
That sentence usually is greeted with gasps, dropped jaws, and “HOOOOOWWWW?!” That kind of price for this show is completely unheard of these days. If you buy a Hamilton ticket face value, the cheapest you can get is $139. StubHub and Ticketmaster Resale is filled with people re-selling their tickets for as much as $1,500 or more PER TICKET. Why are people doing this? Because people are so desperate to see the show that they will pay 10x the original ticket cost to see it!

This alone is where our problem lies and created the whole reason why I am writing this blog post. Hamilton has become such a phenomenon that allowing the ticket prices to skyrocket is fine – in fact, it has become the butt of jokes. Now maybe I’m cheap, but there’s no show in the world that would make me want to pay twice my paycheck to see. I have pretty much made my peace with the fact that I will probably never see Hamilton again, and I have instead focused my energy on being grateful for the fact that I got to see the show when I did and for the price I paid.
Then came word of a national tour.
Broadway productions go on tour because not everyone has the means or funds to travel to New York City, but if the show came to their hometown, then they could afford to see a near carbon copy of the Broadway production. At least that’s what I thought.
This morning, it was announced that the Hamilton National Tour would be stopping at The Kennedy Center in Washington, DC in its 2017-2018 season. The area rejoiced, myself included. I love the Kennedy Center. To me, it’s one of the more beautiful buildings in DC, and is one of my favorite places in town. I have frequented the Kennedy Center since I was 7 years old and my parents took me to see Beauty and the Beast. Their MyTix rush program has allowed me to see some great shows I would not have afforded to see otherwise. I’m always looking for an excuse to visit this beautiful theatre.
My excitement lasted approximately 5 seconds as I opened the Washington Post article explaining the wonderful news, and my excitement turned into anger. Allow me to cite a direct quote from this article:

“According to Kennedy Center President Deborah F. Rutter, you have to buy both the 2016-2017 and the 2017-2018 Kennedy Center theatre subscription seasons to secure a spot among the first in line for tickets to the hyper-successful musical. The 2017-2018 subscriptions do not go on sale until next year. But anyone buying both subscription seasons gets top priority, center officials said. Sometime in the future, single tickets are also expected to be made available for Hamilton’s DC run, although the remaining inventory will depend on the length of Hamilton’s visit to the center’s 2,362 seat Opera House, and how many people have purchased those full subscriptions.” (Peter Marks, The Washington Post, 4/10/16 11:00am)

Okay. For those of you who are unfamiliar with what goes down at the Kennedy Center, allow me to break this down for you. The cheapest theatre subscription you can purchase at the Kennedy Center, as far as I know, is a 3-show season subscription. That means you get to pick three shows in the entire season you get to go to, and you get your tickets secured several months before seats are released to the general public. It’s like a super expensive presale. That subscription, last time I checked, was about $300 for 1 ticket to each show. Now, in order to be “first in line” to get Hamilton tickets, you’ll have to buy a second subscription, so that’s another $300. So you have just shelled out $600 almost two years in advance to see six shows just to guarantee your spot at the front of the line to get your Hamilton ticket, and you’re seeing all of these shows alone - assuming they’ll let you buy only one ticket. This is assuming that the Kennedy Center is allowing Hamilton to be a part of the 3-show subscription. What if Hamilton is only available on the 6-show subscription?
“But wait!” a prospective subscription buyer shouts, “What if I buy both subscriptions now and just sell all the other tickets to the other shows?” Sure. That’s not a bad idea to be honest. If you want to shell out all that money, hope that someone else wants your tickets to The Bridges of Madison County, and you still don’t actually have your physical Hamilton tickets in hand, be my guest.
“Fear not!” cries the social media rep for The Kennedy Center, “More options will be available!” Oh that’s right, those individual tickets will be available eventually, subject to availability. Have we all forgotten what happened the first time The Book of Mormon came to the Kennedy Center? Allow me to refresh your memory: THE WEBSITE CRASHED FOR LIKE TWO DAYS. Unless The Kennedy Center has majorly upgraded their IT department, what do you think is going to happen this time? The website might just implode due to the incredibly high volume of traffic of people hoping to be in the room where it happens, even if there are tickets available. The hype behind Hamilton is like The Book of Mormon on crack. Everyone, just like last time, is going to flock to the season subscriptions, and there will be nothing left for those who waited patiently for individual tickets to go on sale to the general public. Those of us who cannot afford to spend hundreds of dollars two years in advance will not be seeing Hamilton on tour. Many people who truly love this show, who identify with the actors they would see onstage, who thought the tour would be their only hope to see the show, can no longer do so because that opportunity has been made unavailable to them. That opportunity is no longer in their price range. The national tour is no longer their backup plan if they can’t see it on Broadway.

The way I see it, this is the Kennedy Center's way of making more money. This is no less greedy than the ticket scalpers on the street. Just having Hamilton at the KenCen is going to make them a ton of money, why must every cent get drained from our wallets? Am I the only person who sees a problem with this?!
I do not agree in the least with what The Kennedy Center is doing, much less seeing people pay thousands of dollars for theatre tickets. All it is doing is driving the supply and demand up, and making this show less and less accessible for those who can’t afford to pay such exorbitant prices. If the Kennedy Center or any other theatres on the track of this tour are really creating these kinds of policies, then set aside tickets to be made affordable. Offer a lottery, or MyTix rush tickets. Give those on a budget something. I can’t even begin to count how many of my friends are counting on the tour as their chance to see Hamilton, and now they’re forced with the decision of not seeing it, or spending hundreds of dollars that should be spent on food, student loans, rent, etc. for their chance of obtaining a ticket.
Let’s think this through, and let’s not allow supply and demand to control us at so high a cost.

Comments

  1. Thank you for stating this so clearly, Hilary. I have been struggling with the same ideas but have not been able to say it as eloquently.

    I am equally disappointed in the Hamilton production staff who is allowing this kind of ticket mark up - both on Broadway and now for the tour. I thought we were a few hundred years out of the era of "art is only for the weathly." And, as you so wonderfully said:
    "Many people who truly love this show, who identify with the actors they would see onstage, who thought the tour would be their only hope to see the show, can no longer do so because that opportunity has been made unavailable to them."

    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, how much will this screw up ticket sales for the other shows in the KC season? If people are buying up subscriptions just for the chance of getting a Hamilton ticket, will that mean they won't see the other shows they bought and those seats will go unfilled? How is that helpful to the REST of the performance community?

      (Ok, that's all.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Proper Stage Door Etiquette

  All theatres have a stage door. It’s primarily where the actors, musicians, crew, etc. enter the theatre. At Broadway and large regional theatres, it’s also where the audience gathers after the show to get autographs and pictures with the actors. Stage doors can be very fun, but can also cause some people to reach an unacceptable level of crazy. I have waited at dozens of Broadway stage doors over the years and have many stories to tell. I will share some of these stories to help teach you all proper stage door etiquette, because let’s be honest – a lot of people in the theatre world need to be taught how to property act. 1)       Don’t be bitter because you’re not at the front of the crowd. For those of you who have never “stage door-ed” a show before, typically the theatre puts up police barricades that the fans wait behind, to provide crowd control and safety for the actors who come out to sign autographs. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a spot right up against the barricade

"It's Good to See Me, Isn't It?" Broadway is Open!

photo by Jenny Anderson It seemed so normal yet foreign and dreamlike all at once. On a warm September afternoon, I walked out of the New York Marriott Marquis, turned right towards 46th Street, cut through the Hotel Edison lobby, and emerged on 47th Street. I stared at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, its marquee lights sparkling like a lighthouse welcoming weary sailors home. I joined the line to enter the theatre and showed the attendants my ID and proof of COVID-19 vaccination - a sign of how different life really is these days. As I passed through the metal detectors, I heard the unmistakable beeps of the ushers' ticket scanners (a sound I hadn't heard in far too long), and that's when it hit me. Broadway is back, and so am I. The usher directed us to our seats and with a deep breath, I stepped into a theatre for the first time in 18 months.  My family and I arrived into New York City earlier that day with tickets in hand for that evening to see Wicked's second perform