Skip to main content

The Playbill Selling Community


I consider myself a chronic collector. By far, my most prized collection is that of my Broadway Playbills (to you laymen out there, a Playbill is the booklet the usher hands you when entering the theatre). Though some Playbills I saved date back to my middle school years, I have been seriously collecting them for the better part of a decade. It started by keeping one Playbill per show I saw on Broadway, then the collection snowballed until I was grabbing extras on my way out of the theatre when the ushers weren't looking. I saved these extras for years because I thought a time might come when I will need some extra money, and I knew there was a market out there for Broadway Playbills.

Sure enough, my intuition was correct. Enter 2020.

It started innocently enough. Last January I was living my best life at BroadwayCon in New York City, trading Playbills with other collectors and fanatics. I was in way over my head; some people were bringing in suitcases full of Playbills! Nevertheless, I had a blast. I went home and joined quite a few Playbill selling and trading Facebook groups. I decided I was going to get serious about selling Playbills, something I always wanted to try!

Of course, we all know what happened next. The COVID-19 pandemic hit and everyone's world turned upside down. Theatres were (and still are) closed indefinitely. We started hoarding Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer instead of collectibles. Friends and colleagues were furloughed or lost their jobs entirely. I myself was put (and as of the publishing of this post am still) on a reduced work week. Normal life as we knew it was obliterated as we grappled with the new normal. 

Over the summer I started clearing out old clothes, shoes, and toys to donate to the local thrift store or sell on Facebook Marketplace. One late night as I was going through my belongings, I had a realization: what better time to try and make some extra cash than during a pandemic and subsequent economic crisis?! Thanks to COVID I've been home a lot more and I finally had the time to get organized to start selling my Playbills! I stayed up until about 1am that night pulling the shoeboxes full of Playbills out from under my bed and alphabetizing them. The next night, I stayed up late again creating an Excel document cataloguing each one and determining which I'd be interesting in selling. When all was said and done, over 300 Playbills were examined and catalogued. 

All that was left to do was to actually start selling. I made the decision to start small and stick to Facebook at first; I wasn't keen on paying seller fees on eBay when I didn't even know if I would make a sale. Within 24 hours of my first listing, I had sold eight Playbills to five buyers across the United States. A couple days later, I scored my first international sale. Within a couple weeks, I opened up an Instagram shop (SHAMELESS PLUG! Go give me a follow! My handle is @hillsplaybills), and the orders kept coming in. These are tough times in which we're living, and this was the type of escapism I desperately needed. 

As of the publish date of this post, I have been actively selling Playbills for almost six months. I lovingly call it my "side hustle." One thing that surprised me as I began navigating this online adventure was the wonderful community of both buyers and sellers I found. I have bonded with so many Playbill collectors who are kind, enthusiastic, and incredibly supportive of each other. You'd think when we're all trying to sell our inventory on the same platform that there'd be tough competition, but there is so much love that I never expected. When one seller announces a sale, all the other sellers share that sale on their pages, encouraging their followers to go take advantage of the sale. I learned that it was commonplace to ask questions and advice of more experienced sellers; everyone is more than happy to help out! There are group chats, giveaways, surprise contests, games, and Secret Santas. Sellers work swiftly to warn others of identified and proven scammers; there is even a Facebook group and Instagram account solely dedicated to identifying Playbill scammers on all platforms. In October when one particularly nasty scammer left eight reputable sellers with over $800 lost between them, the rest of the community pulled together to promote the affected accounts. 

Through my listings, I have interacted with Broadway fans of all ages from all over the world. In a time when we are unable to turn to live theatre as an escape, it's been nice to have an outlet to shamelessly geek out a little bit. I was warmly welcomed into this community and it has made this experience all the more fun.

I am proud to have self-started a side hustle. I am thrilled to have found this community. I am proud of myself for finding the motivation and drive to sell Playbills when the world seems to be falling apart around me. The community is far from perfect; the occasional scammer shows up from time to time and I sometimes get frustrated when a sale falls through, but at the end of the day I'm making some extra money from a longtime hobby, and that's a pretty exciting thing. 



***Do you like what I have to say? Be sure to click SUBSCRIBE at the top of your screen to receive email notifications whenever I publish a new post!***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Drains Your Savings?

I, like most of the theatre world, am completely captivated by the new Broadway superhit Hamilton . I have listened to the cast recording on repeat nonstop for the last several months. I know every word to every song. The cast members have all become celebrities in my house. I am also extremely lucky to have seen Hamilton, and it completely blew me away and exceeded every expectation. I also luckily only paid $57 for my ticket. That sentence usually is greeted with gasps, dropped jaws, and “HOOOOOWWWW?!” That kind of price for this show is completely unheard of these days. If you buy a Hamilton ticket face value, the cheapest you can get is $139. StubHub and Ticketmaster Resale is filled with people re-selling their tickets for as much as $1,500 or more PER TICKET. Why are people doing this? Because people are so desperate to see the show that they will pay 10x the original ticket cost to see it! This alone is where our problem lies and created the whole reason why I am

Proper Stage Door Etiquette

  All theatres have a stage door. It’s primarily where the actors, musicians, crew, etc. enter the theatre. At Broadway and large regional theatres, it’s also where the audience gathers after the show to get autographs and pictures with the actors. Stage doors can be very fun, but can also cause some people to reach an unacceptable level of crazy. I have waited at dozens of Broadway stage doors over the years and have many stories to tell. I will share some of these stories to help teach you all proper stage door etiquette, because let’s be honest – a lot of people in the theatre world need to be taught how to property act. 1)       Don’t be bitter because you’re not at the front of the crowd. For those of you who have never “stage door-ed” a show before, typically the theatre puts up police barricades that the fans wait behind, to provide crowd control and safety for the actors who come out to sign autographs. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a spot right up against the barricade

"It's Good to See Me, Isn't It?" Broadway is Open!

photo by Jenny Anderson It seemed so normal yet foreign and dreamlike all at once. On a warm September afternoon, I walked out of the New York Marriott Marquis, turned right towards 46th Street, cut through the Hotel Edison lobby, and emerged on 47th Street. I stared at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, its marquee lights sparkling like a lighthouse welcoming weary sailors home. I joined the line to enter the theatre and showed the attendants my ID and proof of COVID-19 vaccination - a sign of how different life really is these days. As I passed through the metal detectors, I heard the unmistakable beeps of the ushers' ticket scanners (a sound I hadn't heard in far too long), and that's when it hit me. Broadway is back, and so am I. The usher directed us to our seats and with a deep breath, I stepped into a theatre for the first time in 18 months.  My family and I arrived into New York City earlier that day with tickets in hand for that evening to see Wicked's second perform