Skip to main content

Interview with bwaySHO!


me with Shoshana in New York City
February 2019
I have the pleasure of sharing my interview with a fellow Theatre Enthusiast, my friend Shoshana! Shoshana and I met in college and we immediately bonded over our mutual love of theatre and Harry Potter. Shoshana lives in New York City and recently launched a vlog called bwaySHO! She's already made some pretty awesome videos, so I decided it was a good idea to share her experiences with my readers and promote her hard work and dedication.

THEATRE ENTHUSIAST: Thank you so much for agreeing to interview with me, Shoshana! How about you start off by telling us a little bit about yourself! What’s your background, and how did that lead you to want to launch BwaySHO?


bwaySHO: Hi Hillary! It’s my pleasure! I’m a proud New Yorker and graduated from the University of Maryland (Go Terps)! I’ve always loved the theatre. Some of my fondest memories consist of running from box office to box office with my friends, trying to find student rush tickets. There’s nothing quite like live theatre and I love being in the room where it happens!

After graduating from UMD, I worked at Comcast SportsNet. I loved interviewing professional athletes and working with some of the best in our industry. I worked there until the beginning of 2017 when I moved to West Texas to pursue my career as an on-air reporter. I was a multimedia journalist and anchor for CBS 7 and met some truly wonderful people in my time there. 

Towards the end of 2018, I realized I was constantly talking about how much I love theatre. I finished my contract and drove across the country to NYC. I didn’t have a job, but knew NYC is where I belong. 

I attended BroadwayCon and flew out to Puerto Rico to see Hamilton, two fabulous experiences!! Lin-Manuel Miranda quote tweeted the photo I took of him on his birthday! As my Hamilcast Patreon Peeps friends and I like to say, “I saw my ghost leave my body.”

I decided Intermission and post-SHO reports gave me the opportunity to report from the theatre. That’s when I launched my bwaySHO YouTube channel and matched all of my social media handles to connect with my new brand. 


TE: I know you just started your YouTube channel recently, so where do you see you channel going from here? What are your goals for the vlog?


bwaySHO: I have been overwhelmed by the support the theatre community has given me. I interviewed Kimmie Mark, a star dresser at Hamilton, and saw the way my YouTube channel could be used to help bring light to different aspects of life in the theatre. 

I’d love bwaySHO to be a place for fans and theatre professionals turn to for opening night coverage, inside scoops and thoughtful interviews. 


TE: In this short time period, you’ve been able to conduct some awesome interviews and see some great shows! What’s been your favorite experience so far in making the vlog?

bwaySHO: It’s incredible how many videos I’ve been able to produce in this short amount of time. I loved interviewing Kimmie as previously mentioned, Ariana DeBose (#TheBullet) and working the Be More Chill Opening Night after party. 


TE: What would you say is the biggest challenge that comes with keeping up a regular vlog?


bwaySHO: The biggest challenge is making sure I’m producing consistent quality content. I pay for all of my own equipment and edit my own videos. Videos take longer to edit than most people expect. I always want to put my best product forward, so I spend a significant amount of time on my videos. 

For my post-SHO interviews, I try to find an excited fan to interview. I’ve been fortunate in finding wonderful people to interview so far.

TE: Do you think the increasing presence of YouTube and other social media outlets can help expand the Broadway world beyond New York City? How do you think your influence online can make theatre seem more mainstream and accessible?


bwaySHO: Social media has been a major factor in my early success. I have spent many days watching performances of the Tony Awards on YouTube and interviews of my favorite theatre people. It has also connected me with this beautiful community. I can’t emphasize enough how much the Hamilcast Patreon Peeps were an integral part in making bwaySHO what it is. We have a closed Facebook page for people who support the Hamilcast Patreon. They are some of the most supportive people and love theatre as much as I do. 

While I try not to be on social media as much as I have been, it’s been very helpful in connecting me with the greater Broadway community.

TE: Do you have any exciting projects coming up, especially with so many shows opening in the next month and Tony season coming soon?

bwaySHO: We’ve been talking about the Tony awards: just you wait! I have a lot of exciting projects coming up in the next few days and months. I can’t say too much yet, but I’d recommend keeping an eye on my social media pages!

TE: If you could conduct an interview with anyone in the Broadway industry, who would it be and why?

bwaySHO: There are a lot of incredible people in this industry I would love interview. I’d have to say Lin-Manuel Miranda is at the top of that list! Hamilton and In The Heights changed the face of Broadway. I love how inclusive Lin's shows are. He’s incredibly talented in a multitude of ways. 


TE: Where can people follow you to see what you’re up to next?

bwaySHO: You can follow me @bwaySHO on all social media platforms. 

I also made a new website: https://www.bwaysho.com/. That’s where you can find my latest videos, blog posts and photos.

Plus, you can always reach out to me. I’m always happy to connect this inclusive community!

Thanks for the interview!

TE: Thanks Shoshana, and best of luck to you! Everyone make sure to go follow bwaySHO to see what exciting projects she has in store!


Check out my other blog posts here!

***Do you like what I have to say? Be sure to click SUBSCRIBE at the top of your screen to receive email notifications whenever I publish a new post!***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Drains Your Savings?

I, like most of the theatre world, am completely captivated by the new Broadway superhit Hamilton . I have listened to the cast recording on repeat nonstop for the last several months. I know every word to every song. The cast members have all become celebrities in my house. I am also extremely lucky to have seen Hamilton, and it completely blew me away and exceeded every expectation. I also luckily only paid $57 for my ticket. That sentence usually is greeted with gasps, dropped jaws, and “HOOOOOWWWW?!” That kind of price for this show is completely unheard of these days. If you buy a Hamilton ticket face value, the cheapest you can get is $139. StubHub and Ticketmaster Resale is filled with people re-selling their tickets for as much as $1,500 or more PER TICKET. Why are people doing this? Because people are so desperate to see the show that they will pay 10x the original ticket cost to see it! This alone is where our problem lies and created the whole reason why I am

Proper Stage Door Etiquette

  All theatres have a stage door. It’s primarily where the actors, musicians, crew, etc. enter the theatre. At Broadway and large regional theatres, it’s also where the audience gathers after the show to get autographs and pictures with the actors. Stage doors can be very fun, but can also cause some people to reach an unacceptable level of crazy. I have waited at dozens of Broadway stage doors over the years and have many stories to tell. I will share some of these stories to help teach you all proper stage door etiquette, because let’s be honest – a lot of people in the theatre world need to be taught how to property act. 1)       Don’t be bitter because you’re not at the front of the crowd. For those of you who have never “stage door-ed” a show before, typically the theatre puts up police barricades that the fans wait behind, to provide crowd control and safety for the actors who come out to sign autographs. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a spot right up against the barricade

"It's Good to See Me, Isn't It?" Broadway is Open!

photo by Jenny Anderson It seemed so normal yet foreign and dreamlike all at once. On a warm September afternoon, I walked out of the New York Marriott Marquis, turned right towards 46th Street, cut through the Hotel Edison lobby, and emerged on 47th Street. I stared at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, its marquee lights sparkling like a lighthouse welcoming weary sailors home. I joined the line to enter the theatre and showed the attendants my ID and proof of COVID-19 vaccination - a sign of how different life really is these days. As I passed through the metal detectors, I heard the unmistakable beeps of the ushers' ticket scanners (a sound I hadn't heard in far too long), and that's when it hit me. Broadway is back, and so am I. The usher directed us to our seats and with a deep breath, I stepped into a theatre for the first time in 18 months.  My family and I arrived into New York City earlier that day with tickets in hand for that evening to see Wicked's second perform