Skip to main content

REVIEW: Network on Broadway

photo by Jan Versweyveld
On the weekend of February 22nd, I took advantage of my President's Day floating holiday from work and traveled to New York City with my family to catch four Broadway shows. I intend to post my reviews over the next couple weeks for each show we saw. Next up to review is Network.

We took our seats in the balcony of the theatre, and before our butts even hit our seats there was already so much to look at. I immediately spotted Bryan Cranston far upstage right getting his makeup done. There were people doing yoga center stage. On stage left, in our blind spots, the audience members who paid premium prices for stage seating were enjoying their complimentary food and drink. On the screens located all through the theatre, a giant countdown to the start of the show was ticking down. Immediately we were swept up into the world of the play, and I knew with great certainty that we were about to see something incredibly unique.

Once the countdown hit zero, the show - or rather, the broadcast - began. Out walked Bryan Cranston and the audience gave one of the warmest entrance cheers I've heard in recent memory. It was well deserved too; after all, we were about to witness Mr. Cranston portray the same role that awarded him an Olivier Award on London's West End.

Network, based on the movie of the same name, follows newscaster Howard Beale in what are supposed to be his final days working on the network that has employed him for the last twenty-five years. As his last broadcast draws near, Howard starts to lose all sense of a filter and decides to ramble on camera about anything and everything - and it's not exactly appropriate for primetime television. However, his emotional unraveling causes the ratings to skyrocket and the network decides to keep him on with free reign, in attempts to boost their numbers.

Also starring in this production are Tony Goldwyn (from the hit TV show Scandal) as Howard's best friend Max and Tatiana Maslany as Max's mistress Diana. However, the true star of this production is the direction and staging. I love going to shows where I feel like the boundaries of theatre are being pushed beyond what we know. Network does a phenomenal job of mixing live theatre with modern multimedia. The action of the play takes us off the stage into the wings and even out onto the street outside the theatre! But don't worry, there is an actor with a camera filming all the action at every turn, so no matter where you're sitting in the theatre, you're not missing a thing. I lost count as to how many screens were strategically placed through the theatre the audience could refer if we felt as if we were missing something. With this technology in use, there was no such thing as an obstructed view.

With regard to great performances in Network, all signs point to the untouchable Bryan Cranston. Where the rest of the cast fell short, Mr. Cranston made up for ten-fold. He had the audience in the palm of his hand from his very first line. About a third of the way through the show, his character is seemlingly going through a rough mental breakdown, and his portrayal in that scene was nothing short of a master class. He was simply captivating, and to witness his performance alone is worth the price of admission.

Other than Bryan Cranston, the rest of the performances I found to be lackluster. Tony Goldwyn's Max was far too similar to his character on Scandal. I felt I had been there, done that. He even had a graphic sex scene to boot (which made me extremely uncomfortable given my father was sitting right next to me). Tatiana Maslany as Diana was emotionless and flat, in my honest opinion. It could be argued that that was more of her character's persona than her acting ability. Regardless, I felt her performance wasn't anything to write home about. Though the cast as a whole worked well together like a well-oiled machine, there weren't any supporting or featured roles that stood out to me in any way.

When I initially walked out of the theatre, I couldn't say that I loved the show. However, after giving it time to sink in and as I have discussed the show with friends, all I keep saying is how glad I am that I saw it. It really was one of the most unique experiences I've had at the theatre, and I am 100% certain that I witnessed Bryan Cranston's next Tony Award-winning performance.

Network is currently playing at the Belasco Theatre in New York City. The show just recently extended its run and will now close on June 8th, 2019. You can purchase tickets on Telecharge.com, on the TodayTix app, and very rarely at the TKTS ticket booth at Times Square, Lincoln Center, and South Street Seaport. Additionally, the theatre sells a limited amount of $40 same-day standing room only tickets for any sold-out performance.

Run Time: 2hrs with no intermission
Network rating: R (language & sexual content)
Hillary's Score: 7.5/10
Check out my other show reviews here!

***Do you like what I have to say? Be sure to click SUBSCRIBE at the top of your screen to receive email notifications whenever I publish a new post!***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Drains Your Savings?

I, like most of the theatre world, am completely captivated by the new Broadway superhit Hamilton . I have listened to the cast recording on repeat nonstop for the last several months. I know every word to every song. The cast members have all become celebrities in my house. I am also extremely lucky to have seen Hamilton, and it completely blew me away and exceeded every expectation. I also luckily only paid $57 for my ticket. That sentence usually is greeted with gasps, dropped jaws, and “HOOOOOWWWW?!” That kind of price for this show is completely unheard of these days. If you buy a Hamilton ticket face value, the cheapest you can get is $139. StubHub and Ticketmaster Resale is filled with people re-selling their tickets for as much as $1,500 or more PER TICKET. Why are people doing this? Because people are so desperate to see the show that they will pay 10x the original ticket cost to see it! This alone is where our problem lies and created the whole reason why I am

Proper Stage Door Etiquette

  All theatres have a stage door. It’s primarily where the actors, musicians, crew, etc. enter the theatre. At Broadway and large regional theatres, it’s also where the audience gathers after the show to get autographs and pictures with the actors. Stage doors can be very fun, but can also cause some people to reach an unacceptable level of crazy. I have waited at dozens of Broadway stage doors over the years and have many stories to tell. I will share some of these stories to help teach you all proper stage door etiquette, because let’s be honest – a lot of people in the theatre world need to be taught how to property act. 1)       Don’t be bitter because you’re not at the front of the crowd. For those of you who have never “stage door-ed” a show before, typically the theatre puts up police barricades that the fans wait behind, to provide crowd control and safety for the actors who come out to sign autographs. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a spot right up against the barricade

"It's Good to See Me, Isn't It?" Broadway is Open!

photo by Jenny Anderson It seemed so normal yet foreign and dreamlike all at once. On a warm September afternoon, I walked out of the New York Marriott Marquis, turned right towards 46th Street, cut through the Hotel Edison lobby, and emerged on 47th Street. I stared at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, its marquee lights sparkling like a lighthouse welcoming weary sailors home. I joined the line to enter the theatre and showed the attendants my ID and proof of COVID-19 vaccination - a sign of how different life really is these days. As I passed through the metal detectors, I heard the unmistakable beeps of the ushers' ticket scanners (a sound I hadn't heard in far too long), and that's when it hit me. Broadway is back, and so am I. The usher directed us to our seats and with a deep breath, I stepped into a theatre for the first time in 18 months.  My family and I arrived into New York City earlier that day with tickets in hand for that evening to see Wicked's second perform