Skip to main content

REVIEW: Kiss Me Kate on Broadway


On the weekend of February 22nd, I took advantage of my President's Day floating holiday from work and traveled to New York City with my family to catch four Broadway shows. I intend to post my reviews over the next couple weeks for each show we saw. First up is the Broadway revival of Kiss Me, Kate!

Roundabout Theatre Company's latest production has been highly-anticipated (at least by me) for many months, and I was extremely excited that we were able to score tickets during the show's second week of previews. For those unfamiliar with the term, previews are regular performances with a paying audience, but are prior to the official opening night. During previews, the cast and creative team can gauge audience response and figure out any changes that need to be made to costumes, choreography, staging, etc. Once opening night arrives, the show is considered "frozen" and no more changes can be made.

Anyway, back to Kiss Me, Kate! This production is full of immense talent and Broadway royalty. Tony-Award winner (and six-time nominee) Kelli O'Hara leads the production alongside Broadway veteran and television regular Will Chase (best known for his role on the hit TV show Nashville). Rounding out the principal cast in memorable supporting roles are Corbin Bleu (best known to millennials as Chad in High School Musical) and an adorable Stephanie Styles in her Broadway debut. The ensemble is multi-talented, high-energy, and clearly loving what they are doing.

The show starts out in the final rehearsal leading up to the opening night of a musical adaptation of The Taming of the Shrew. Star Lilli Vanessi (O'Hara) and co-star/director/creator Fred Graham (Chase) have been divorced for one year and have seemingly moved on from each other. Or have they? After spending a good part of Act 1 blissfully reminiscing, Lilli begins to wonder if she still loves her ex-husband and if she should stay with her new fiancé. She begins their performance starry-eyed, but soon finds out that Fred actually has the hots for another castmate. As the show-within-the show wears on Lilli begins to seek her revenge. Add in mobsters, tap dancing, and the highest ranks of the U.S. military and you've got yourself a classic musical comedy of errors!

This production started out with a bang with the classic song "Another Open'in, Another Show," but the pacing dropped soon after and I found myself bored for most of Act 1 (with the exception of letting Kelli O'Hara's beautiful soprano wash over me during her early solo "So in Love"). It wasn't until Lilli discovered that a beautiful bouquet of flowers sent to her dressing room from Fred was incorrectly delivered that the show finally picked up the pace. From my seat up in the balcony, it looked like Kelli O'Hara was truly hitting Will Chase! Based on the reactions from the audience, they seemed to agree with me. I can't imagine the bruises the two of them have from their physical confrontations throughout the end of Act 1 into Act 2.

The highlight of Kiss Me, Kate! was the firey Act 2 opener, "Too Darn Hot." If the seats in the theatre weren't so tight, the number probably would have gotten a mid-show standing ovation. The cheers and applause after the song was over went on for ages. I'm sure the cast enjoyed the break so they could catch their breath. The dance flowed naturally from smooth jazz into energetic tap and finished as a true Broadway showstopper. If you're considering seeing this show, let me tell you that "Too Darn Hot" alone is worth the price of admission.

It was nice to see Corbin Bleu be so heavily featured in various dance numbers throughout the show. Unfortunately, he was placed in a dance trio in Act 1 where, though he is immensely talented, didn't quite hold a candle to the two brilliant ensemble dancers with whom he danced. However, he all but made up for that in Act 2. I had the pleasure of seeing him in Irving Berlin's Holiday Inn in 2017 and was astounded to find out what an insanely talented tap dancer he is. When he stepped out onstage during "Too Darn Hot" wearing his taps, I knew we were in for a treat. His tap break was far too short, but he showed off his hoofing skills even more during "Bianca." Backed up by the ensemble, Corbin defied the laws of dance physics. He tapped upside down on the ceiling, he tapped backwards down a full flight of stairs, and he left me with my jaw on the floor.

The biggest surprise for me was Stephanie Styles' performance as Lois. I previously saw Ms. Styles play Katherine Plumber in the Newsies national tour in 2015 and for a show and role I love so dearly, she left much to be desired at the time. Boy, did she prove me wrong this time! Her demeanor was perky and endearing, her voice was powerful yet sweet, and she commanded the stage with such ease that my mom and I couldn't stop talking about her the whole way back to our hotel that night! She has every quality a Broadway starlet needs, and I am certain this is not the last we will see of her!

Kiss Me, Kate! doesn't force the audience to think too hard. The storyline at face value is simple. However, if you want to spend your evening enjoying classic Broadway and walk out of the theatre with a huge smile on your face, this is the show for you! I had high expectations for this production and it absolutely met them! After the show, make sure to stop by the stage door on 53rd street to get selfies and autographs from the cast; almost everyone came out to greet us the night I went!

Kiss Me, Kate! is currently running at Broadway's historic Studio 54 in New York City. It officially opens on March 14th and is scheduled for a strictly limited run, closing on June 2nd. Visit Roundabout Theatre Company's website or download the TodayTix app for tickets.

Run Time: 2hr 30min, incl one 15min intermission
Kiss Me, Kate! rating: PG
Hillary's Score: 8/10
Check out my other show reviews here!

***Do you like what I have to say? Be sure to click SUBSCRIBE at the top of your screen to receive email notifications whenever I publish a new post!***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Drains Your Savings?

I, like most of the theatre world, am completely captivated by the new Broadway superhit Hamilton . I have listened to the cast recording on repeat nonstop for the last several months. I know every word to every song. The cast members have all become celebrities in my house. I am also extremely lucky to have seen Hamilton, and it completely blew me away and exceeded every expectation. I also luckily only paid $57 for my ticket. That sentence usually is greeted with gasps, dropped jaws, and “HOOOOOWWWW?!” That kind of price for this show is completely unheard of these days. If you buy a Hamilton ticket face value, the cheapest you can get is $139. StubHub and Ticketmaster Resale is filled with people re-selling their tickets for as much as $1,500 or more PER TICKET. Why are people doing this? Because people are so desperate to see the show that they will pay 10x the original ticket cost to see it! This alone is where our problem lies and created the whole reason why I am

Proper Stage Door Etiquette

  All theatres have a stage door. It’s primarily where the actors, musicians, crew, etc. enter the theatre. At Broadway and large regional theatres, it’s also where the audience gathers after the show to get autographs and pictures with the actors. Stage doors can be very fun, but can also cause some people to reach an unacceptable level of crazy. I have waited at dozens of Broadway stage doors over the years and have many stories to tell. I will share some of these stories to help teach you all proper stage door etiquette, because let’s be honest – a lot of people in the theatre world need to be taught how to property act. 1)       Don’t be bitter because you’re not at the front of the crowd. For those of you who have never “stage door-ed” a show before, typically the theatre puts up police barricades that the fans wait behind, to provide crowd control and safety for the actors who come out to sign autographs. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a spot right up against the barricade

"It's Good to See Me, Isn't It?" Broadway is Open!

photo by Jenny Anderson It seemed so normal yet foreign and dreamlike all at once. On a warm September afternoon, I walked out of the New York Marriott Marquis, turned right towards 46th Street, cut through the Hotel Edison lobby, and emerged on 47th Street. I stared at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre, its marquee lights sparkling like a lighthouse welcoming weary sailors home. I joined the line to enter the theatre and showed the attendants my ID and proof of COVID-19 vaccination - a sign of how different life really is these days. As I passed through the metal detectors, I heard the unmistakable beeps of the ushers' ticket scanners (a sound I hadn't heard in far too long), and that's when it hit me. Broadway is back, and so am I. The usher directed us to our seats and with a deep breath, I stepped into a theatre for the first time in 18 months.  My family and I arrived into New York City earlier that day with tickets in hand for that evening to see Wicked's second perform