Skip to main content

5 Reasons Why You Need to See Dear Evan Hansen RIGHT NOW





Over the summer I got a text from a friend that read, “What are you doing tomorrow night? Do you want to go see Dear Evan Hansen with me?” The show was on my radar as one I wanted to see, so obviously I said yes. We bought Pay Your Age tickets, took the Metro into Washington DC, and that night our lives changed. For the couple months Dear Evan Hansen performed its world premiere at Arena Stage, everyone in the DC theatre community had one thing in common – we were all obsessed with this show. It seemed as if everyone saw the show at least once. When it was announced Dear Evan Hansen would transfer to Off-Broadway in the spring of 2016, we were relieved and thrilled. This incredibly powerful show will live on, and New Yorkers get to see it now as well, and they have no idea what is about to hit them. Here are 5 reasons why you need to see Dear Evan Hansen.
1)      Pasek & Paul wrote the music. You know, the guys who wrote Dogfight? James and the Giant Peach? A Christmas Story? The amazing songwriting duo is changing the face of musical theatre one musical at a time? Yep. The music in the show is beautifully addictive. The same four lines of music have been stuck in my head since July. I needed a cast recording months ago. Yet here I wait, very impatiently.

2)      BEN. PLATT. Most people know Mr. Platt from Pitch Perfect or for starring as Elder Cunningham in The Book of Mormon. You guys. That’s just the tip of the iceberg of what that guy can do. The role of Evan Hansen is incredibly demanding both emotionally and vocally, and Ben Platt’s portrayal is nothing short of mind-blowing. I am thrilled and relieved that he will be reprising his performance in the Off-Broadway production. Ben Platt single-handedly raises the bar for contemporary musical theatre tenors everywhere. Listen to this SoundCloud clip of him singing the show’s opening number, “Waving Through a Window.” https://soundcloud.com/arenastage-1/window-3minute

3)      Millennial Representation!!! A major theme of the musical revolves around the effect social media and the Internet has on society and tthe constant need to belong, issues very common in the younger generations who grew up in the digital age. My friend and I spoke with Benj Pasek briefly after the show, and he told us that it was important to them to push issues of our generation to the forefront of the stage – and boy did they deliver! The result is powerful.

4)      It will make you further appreciate projection design.  I think projections in theatre can be very effective when used in the right way, in other words, projections do not replace the scenic design. The designers for this show nailed it right on the head. For a show that centers around the use of social media and the Internet, the use of such projections made that central theme all the more prevalent, and makes the effect social media has on our lives and our minds very real and tangible.

5)      The entire cast steals the show. The cast of eight is so strong. Each one brings something special to their character and the production. The entire show is so well-acted and sung. Nothing thrills me more than seeing a show with no weak link to find. Unfortunately, two of the original Arena Stage cast members will not be a part of the Off-Broadway production, but I have no doubt the new actors will bring just as powerful performances to the show.
Previews start tonight. I can't say enough good things about this show, so get your tickets now (Tip! Those of you who saw the show at Arena Stage, use the coupon code ARENA to purchase $59 tickets! ALSO, if you're under the age of 30, look for the $34 Youth tickets!)  I already have my tickets to go... now it's your turn!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Finding Neverland National Tour

photo by Jeremy Daniel I could not have been more excited when I learned that Finding Neverland would finally be launching a national tour. I saw the show twice on Broadway starring Matthew Morrison, Kelsey Grammar, and Laura Michelle Kelly, and I completely fell in love with the breathtaking yet underrated musical. At long last, the tour reached the National Theatre in Washington, DC, and I was so excited to score cheap tickets! I had some concerns about seeing Finding Neverland this time around. Despite the glowing reviews from my friends who had seen it earlier in the week, the Washington Post completely slammed the production. The Post's review mainly blamed the tour's shortcomings on being a non-equity tour. In summary, an actor who is non-equity has not yet worked their way into the Actor's Equity Association (the actor's union, in laymen's terms). Non-equity actors are not protected by the AEA regulations, and therefore are not obligated to be paid a ...

Proper Stage Door Etiquette

  All theatres have a stage door. It’s primarily where the actors, musicians, crew, etc. enter the theatre. At Broadway and large regional theatres, it’s also where the audience gathers after the show to get autographs and pictures with the actors. Stage doors can be very fun, but can also cause some people to reach an unacceptable level of crazy. I have waited at dozens of Broadway stage doors over the years and have many stories to tell. I will share some of these stories to help teach you all proper stage door etiquette, because let’s be honest – a lot of people in the theatre world need to be taught how to property act. 1)       Don’t be bitter because you’re not at the front of the crowd. For those of you who have never “stage door-ed” a show before, typically the theatre puts up police barricades that the fans wait behind, to provide crowd control and safety for the actors who come out to sign autographs. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a s...

REVIEW: Network on Broadway

photo by Jan Versweyveld On the weekend of February 22nd, I took advantage of my President's Day floating holiday from work and traveled to New York City with my family to catch four Broadway shows. I intend to post my reviews over the next couple weeks for each show we saw. Next up to review is Network . We took our seats in the balcony of the theatre, and before our butts even hit our seats there was already so much to look at. I immediately spotted Bryan Cranston far upstage right getting his makeup done. There were people doing yoga center stage. On stage left, in our blind spots, the audience members who paid premium prices for stage seating were enjoying their complimentary food and drink. On the screens located all through the theatre, a giant countdown to the start of the show was ticking down. Immediately we were swept up into the world of the play, and I knew with great certainty that we were about to see something incredibly unique. Once the countdown h...